background

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

DIY Lip and Cheek Stain (think “Benetint”)


Bears. Beets. Beauty Products.

I love Benetint from Benefit Cosmetics. It’s amazing. However, being on a budget doesn’t allow me such luxuries anymore. You know what though? I don’t miss it too much. After all, isn’t it great to know it can be made in the comfort of home for a fraction- seriously a small fraction- of the cost? I find some peace in that.

This one is super easy! I tried two different recipes; I like both fine… but have some amazing testers so I will let you know what one they liked best.

Option 1:
Beets
Vegetable Glycerin
Vodka

Grab a double boiler (or my fav, a bowl inside a pot). Chop beets into small chunks and place in bowl with a small amount of vegetable glycerin. Start boiling the water.  Let the beet’s color run in the glycerin, while stirring, for 15-20 minutes. Drain the beets, keeping the liquid. Put a splash of vodka in the mix and let it continue to cook for a few more minutes (this will kill the alcohol part, letting it absorb on your skin better). Then place in your container and put in fridge. This should stay stable for a while, but keep it in the fridge for best results.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Option 2:
Beet
Water
Vodka

Chop beets into small chunks and place in pot of water. Start boiling and let the color of the beets get all up in the water. Drain the beets, keeping the red water in the pot. Add a splash of vodka and boil a few more minutes. Place in container and pop it in the fridge.  

Look at that glorious color!!! (The tube is the Benetint)


There's no difference in color! This is one of the finished products.


I made sure to date it, in case I lose track of time.


*Side note:  I added a teeny bit of peppermint essential oil in it to kill that beet smell, totally up to you.

Now, I would highly recommend you practice a little common sense and don’t try to wear it when you just made it… it will be hot so wait until it cools. Trust me, it’s not going anywhere. You should have just made yourself more than enough, so you don’t have to be so judicious with your stains anymore!  You’ll know it is going bad when the smell changes, it is a food product after all, it’ll go bad. Many places I read said up to 90 days of use. So I’ll let you know when mine goes bad.

I might recommend finding an empty nail polish tube from the beauty supply store to keep this in, very portable (there will be more than enough for a few jars, easy gifts!) as well as easy application with the wand. I used some cobalt glass droppers and I use a cotton swab to apply.

There are other variations I’m going to try in the future, such as berries for a darker color.
I’m already a huge fan! It doesn’t absorb as quickly as my Benetint, but for the price, I’m not complaining. It goes on a much lighter color too, so you don’t have to risk going too drastic at first try. Use it on your cheeks for a subtle rosy tint, or put directly on your lips for a “just bitten” look.

XOXO Kayla Rae


No comments:

Post a Comment