background

Monday, April 22, 2013

Bless and Release


Bless and Release.

Not exactly a "beauty" related post... but inspiration enough to make a beautifully organized closet!

This is not something new to me. I have always had too many clothes. I love clothes. My problem is that I don’t know when to let go and get rid of old clothes. My mother used to always say “Bless and release” to all my old toys/clothes/anything growing up, because I would always try to think of a way I could keep it and keep not using it.

Since being with my fella, I’ve definitely downsized my wardrobe. It’s definitely liberating, but I can have my little bouts of retail therapy when I forget I have some perfectly good pieces at home with the sale tag still on them. We live a simple life in a 400 square foot studio apartment with our three kids. We have Rowdy (my 2 ½ year old Pembroke Corgi), Kimber (his 1 year old German Shepherd/Husky mix) and Danni (our 3 year old rescue kitty). Most of the time, it feels like we live in a little shoebox, but we’re happy. Things can be pretty crammed, pretty quick. So I have decided to be responsible and get rid of a ton of pieces in my closet I truly don’t wear or use.


Look at all this jewelry I've collected over the years and haven't gotten rid of! Most of it never worn! Bless and release!



This can be a daunting task for anyone. First, collect some large bags. Start small, I went to the dresser and went one drawer at a time. Does it have a tear or stain? In the bag. Have I neglected to wear it in the last 6 months (seasons permitting)? In the bag. Have I only worn it once and can’t come to wear it again? In the bag, woman!  Drawer by drawer… until we reach the closet.


He's such a good helper.


Take breaks, have some fun and try on some pieces to see if they are worth up-cycling or actually wearing. If not, in the bag. It took me darn near 3 hours to successfully go through my drawers, my closet, my jewelry, and my shoes. I wound up with 4 very large bags of perfectly usable clothes that I didn’t need or never wore!


Spring cleaning: Rowdy approved.
I am a huge fan on selling old clothes to recycled clothing shops; I used to do it all the time.  I am also a huge fan of donating my clothes, which is my course of action with this cleaning frenzy. Only throw away your clothing if it is ripped or stained, or are old undergarments. Everything else can be donated or sold. I feel so much better getting it all out of my place! There is so much more room and my clothes can actually breathe in my closet now!

XOXO Kayla Rae





                       

No comments:

Post a Comment