background

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hot Oil Hair Treatment


Hot Oil Hair Treatment.

Sometimes, your hair just needs a little boost. You have got to be aware, however, of some “deep treatments” that could potentially contain chemicals designed to give your hair instant gratification, but cause long term dryness. You want some good natural oils to really get in there and keep your hair healthy and happy. Why do you think men and women of native tribes far away have the most glorious hair you’ve ever seen? They use the real stuff!

Materials:

2 parts Coconut Oil (for me, 3 tbsp.)
1 part Jojoba Oil (1 ½ tbsp.)
1 part Avocado Oil (1 ½ tbsp.) *Note: you may also substitute for 1 mashed up avocado
1 part Castor Oil (1 ½ tbsp.)
Shower cap (I definitely learned this one the hard way… it runs everywhere!)



Why these oils? (Besides the fact I already have these in my cabinet)

Coconut oil- it is completely absorbed by the hair; gets all up in the shaft root to tip. It helps retain those important proteins and seals in the moisture. It also helps protect your hair follicle (help resist thinning hair!) and is great for frizz control.
Jojoba Oil- Very gentle and is essential for dry hair as it mimics the scalp’s sebum (that waxy glory keeping your hair healthy and moist). It creates a barrier for the follicle so it remains moisturized.
Avocado Oil- Here is where there is a difference, the act of creating avocado oil actually diminishes the proteins from the avocado (hence the option to mash one up if your hair is really damaged). But, it is still full of vitamin E and omega 3’s. It will help protect your hair and could stimulate stronger, healthier growth.
Castor Oil-  This can act as a hair thickening agent, it absorbs easily into the shaft and scalp to promote stronger hair growing in. It treats each strand individually, plumping them up with its goodness. It also acts as an antibacterial and anti-fungicidal which can help deter any infections that could lead to hair loss.

No need to worry, each oil is safe for all hair types and help prevent dandruff too! Now, in case you haven’t read my Oil Cleansing Method post, let’s be clear. Natural oils are your friend. They mimic your scalp’s natural oils. It’s ok if you tend to have oily hair.

What you will now do…

Warm the oil mixture double-boiler style. I just put a bowl over a pot of boiling water to warm it up (not too hot, we’re not looking to burn your scalp off). Pour your mixture on your scalp first, massage it in, and then pour along the rest of your hair. Massage for a few minutes, wrap it up in a bun with the shower cap over it and sit for 30 minutes. This is a great time to get your weekly face mask going since most take about 20 minutes (10 minutes prep) relax and then jump in the shower!  Shampoo a couple times to get the oil out (took me 3 sets of shampoo), then condition and be on your way. I would probably limit this one to weekly for damaged hair and biweekly for normal hair.

I let my hair air dry as much as I could stand (I’m very impatient and the bangs wait for no one!). I put a little Argan Oil in to tame any remaining frizz and used my Velcro rollers on the top half of my head to pump up the volume. Once my hair was completely dry, I did very minimal curling with a 1 ½ inch barrel iron and let it be! My hair is so crazy soft to the touch and very healthy looking! Cheers!

After all is said and done.

Super shiny and healthy!

XOXO Kayla Rae




No comments:

Post a Comment