background

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Don't be a Dirty Girl


I've been a dirty girl.

I don’t know about you, but one aspect of looking and feeling beautiful is being clean. I know you’re dirty little secret though… it’s one of mine too. I always forget to clean my makeup brushes. Those things are NASTY. I let it slip my mind until one day I realize my foundation brush isn't as glorious as it could be. My blush brush isn't as fluffy. Well, no more excuses. We don’t need to go buy a special wash, just use what’s in your cabinet! (If it’s not there, don’t fret… it’s cheap to go buy and then you’ll have some for forever)

I vow to clean my brushes at LEAST twice a month. I will remember! It just feels so damn good once the deed is done!

Materials:
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) (Wait til that post comes out. I live for this stuff)
Dish Soap (whatever is sitting under the sink, not dishwasher soap, genius)
Hot water

The brush cleaning dream team.


What you’ll do:
Take 1-1 ½ cups hot water, place in container (I just use my measuring cup). Add approximately 2 tbsp ACV and dish soap. I really just eyeball it, you don’t have to get too technical. Then swirl around your brushes in it one by one, rinsing thoroughly in the sink after you've decided it’s clean enough. *Tip: the more you use that brush, the more you’ll wanna clean it. Once that’s all done, place on a paper towel while you clean the rest of the bunch.

OMG so gross. This is just after my blush brush (hence the pinky hue)


Then repeat, yup, your cleaning mix should look pretty disgusting, so you know it’s not over yet. Remake your mix and start over. I tend to do two sets, but feel free to keep going until it rinses clear. If you wear heavier makeup or darker colors, more sets will probably do you a world of good.

Let your brushes sit in a safe place to dry on the paper towel overnight. In the morning, they should be pretty dry.  Shake them out to fluff them up and voila! They look brand new!

My brushes before...

My brushes after!!!

Now, I would like to bring to your attention a few uber-nasties from my brushes...

My foundation brush:


My other foundation brush (yes I have 2... don't judge):


My crease brush (for the times I actually do wear dark makeup):


I actually forget what color some of my brushes are until this deed is done. Don't be ashamed of your brushes, and don't waste your money buying new ones... they can be cleaned!

XOXO Kayla Rae



No comments:

Post a Comment